Freedom of information

What is the scheme?

The publication scheme is a guide to the information routinely published by St John Rigby College, or which it is intended to publish. The Scheme provides a description of the "classes" or types of information published.

Adopting a publication scheme is a requirement of Section 19 of The Freedom of Information Act 2000, updated in January 2009. The purpose of the Act is to promote greater openness by public authorities (i.e. government and other public sector organisations, including Universities and Further Education Colleges). The St John Rigby College scheme here follows the Model Publication Scheme produced for Universities, further education colleges and sixth form colleges across England, Wales and Northern Ireland for use from January 2009.

How do I obtain information covered by the publication scheme?

St John Rigby College will make items available which belong to classes in the Publication Scheme. Any exceptions are noted in the descriptions of the different classes of information. These will generally be for reasons related to the Data Protection Act or commercial sensitivity.

Where possible we intend to publish all documents covered by the scheme in electronic format via the college’s website although many documents are available in hard copy only. Requests for information should be made to the Freedom of Information Officer.

How much do printed publications cost?

Printed information about courses and services offered by the College is available free of charge, as are packs issued to people responding to notices of job vacancies. If requested, we will produce publications in other formats; in these cases we will usually make a charge, amounting to the cost of producing the item in the format requested and sending it, with a minimum charge of £20. In certain circumstances the College may waive the charge. For a full list of fees please see Annex A.

If you are not able to obtain what you require, or if you have any questions, comments or complaints about this scheme, please contact:

Freedom of Information Officer
St John Rigby College
Gathurst Road

Tel 01942 214797

What about information not covered by the publication scheme?

From 1 January 2005 you have the right, under the Freedom of Information Act 2000, to request any information (subject to certain exemptions) held by a public authority, including a college such as St John Rigby College, which has not already been made available through our publication scheme. Requests have to be made in writing and, in general, public authorities have 20 working days to respond. We may charge a fee, which will have to be calculated according to Fees Regulations (see Annex A). We are not required to release information to which an exemption in the Act legitimately applies.


We will do everything in our power to meet your information needs. However, if you have a complaint we are unable to resolve, you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner, the independent body which oversees the implementation of the Freedom of Information Act.

Information Commissioner
Wycliffe House
Water Lane