College entry, (please refer to the Entry Requirements section for further details).
14 units of study
– 1 externally assessed examination
– 3 externally assessed tasks
– 10 internally assessed coursework
On the course you will study 14 units that will give you a broad insight into many areas of the sports industry.
Mandatory units include:
• Anatomy and Physiology that will cover all areas of the human body and the body systems.
• Fitness Training and Programming for Health, Sport and Well-being which will cover the screening of clients’ health and assessing their lifestyle and nutritional habits.
• Coaching for Performance, covering all aspects of being a skilled sports coach and what it requires to bring the best out of an athlete.
Students will also study a range of other units including:
• Application of Fitness Testing
• Skill Acquisition
• Practical Sports Performance
The two-year programme will incorporate both external assessments and internal assignments. Students will complete a full portfolio of evidence by completing tasks and coursework pieces for each unit. Assignment tasks are set on a regular basis, with a topic being taught and then assessed. Organisation and discipline are of paramount importance for this course due to the demand of having multiple assignments due in the same time period.
Our Elective Programme is designed to help you develop your gifts and interests as part of an enhanced level 3 programme. We will help you realise your potential by nurturing your talent and preparing you for study at the most prestigious universities or for progression to competitive higher-level apprenticeships. Your options range from our Honours Programme, which might include following a fourth A level, to specialist Futures Programmes that will support your career goals.
If you’re not quite ready to start on a Level 3 Technical course (T Levels) or a Vocational Level 3 course (BTEC) but want to begin on the path to your chosen career, the Transition Programme could be for you.
Transition Programmes are tailored to prepare students to move onto Technical or Vocational Level 3 study. They will give you the opportunity to improve your English and Maths, your work readiness skills and introduce you to the technical skills and concepts that you will need for future study and employment.
As part of the Transition Programme you will study a BTEC Level 2 Award in your chosen subject area as well as the BTEC Level 2 Extended Award in Work Skills. You will also have the opportunity to resit GCSE English and/or Maths if you have not yet achieved a grade 4.
Entry criteria for Transition Programmes is four grade 3s including grade 3s in English Language and Maths GCSE.