We have developed the Future Linguists elective to enhance your language skills with aspects that are not typically covered by the A Level course, including vocational and professional skills, transactional and practical language, reflection on the importance of language skills in the UK and the future of language learning, independent learning of new languages, as well as vital intercultural and interpersonal skills to prepare you for further study and travel.
• You will independently study – with our guidance – a new language alongside your Advanced Level work to a basic level, such as German, Russian or Mandarin. This will be assessed via portfolio and presentation.
• We will provide opportunities to study Business and Holiday Languages modules in French and/or Spanish.
• Students will be encouraged to attend SJR extra-curricular clubs such as Mandarin, Latin and Sign Language and the International Film club.
• You will write an academic essay, writing in English, about an issue related to languages in education or in the economy. You will also be given opportunities to enter external essay writing competitions.
• We will provide opportunities for you to engage with visiting speakers and linguists from industry, academia and alumni.
• International links – we will support students to find a correspondent in the French / Spanish speaking world or further afield.
• You will be encouraged to help with languages delivery in primary / secondary schools.
• We will support you to find opportunities to secure short work placements in companies where languages are used.
Trips to experience other cultures and exchange visits
Annual Languages trips to Oxford and Cambridge
Lectures trips and University visits
Communication and interpersonal skills
Strong attention to detail
A high level of personal resilience and perseverance
Intercultural understanding and global outlook
Our Elective Programme is designed to help you develop your gifts and interests as part of an enhanced level 3 programme. We will help you realise your potential by nurturing your talent and preparing you for study at the most prestigious universities or for progression to competitive higher-level apprenticeships. Your options range from our Honours Programme, which might include following a fourth A level, to specialist Futures Programmes that will support your career goals.