This programme supports the study of History, Government and Politics or Sociology.
• Seminar discussions examining key characteristics of future leaders: leadership, teamship, strategy, innovation, talent and mindset.
• Case studies to understand the key characteristics and how they can be applied
• Projects within college and in the local community to put your skills into practise
• Specialist guidance and support in preparing for university and employment
• Guest speakers from various fields, discussing the key characteristics of being a leader
• Outdoor pursuits and team building day
• Other trips will be arranged in response to student projects
• Ability to communicate at a high level, both orally and written
• Listening skills
• Time management
• How to critically evaluate
• Attention to detail
• Debating skills
• Organisation of projects
• Presenting skills
The skills and experience gained through the Debate Society will support a range of pathways such as an application for further study at a prestigious university, a higher apprenticeship or employment. The Social Science Department has an excellent record of student progression to higher education and last year our students progressed to study History, Politics, Sociology and Psychology at a number of Russell Group Universities including The University of Leeds, Durham University and The University of Newcastle.
Our Elective Programme is designed to help you develop your gifts and interests as part of an enhanced level 3 programme. We will help you realise your potential by nurturing your talent and preparing you for study at the most prestigious universities or for progression to competitive higher-level apprenticeships. Your options range from our Honours Programme, which might include following a fourth A level, to specialist Futures Programmes that will support your career goals.
If you’re not quite ready to start on a Level 3 Technical course (T Levels) or a Vocational Level 3 course (BTEC) but want to begin on the path to your chosen career, the Transition Programme could be for you.
Transition Programmes are tailored to prepare students to move onto Technical or Vocational Level 3 study. They will give you the opportunity to improve your English and Maths, your work readiness skills and introduce you to the technical skills and concepts that you will need for future study and employment.
As part of the Transition Programme you will study a BTEC Level 2 Award in your chosen subject area as well as the BTEC Level 2 Extended Award in Work Skills. You will also have the opportunity to resit GCSE English and/or Maths if you have not yet achieved a grade 4.
Entry criteria for Transition Programmes is four grade 3s including grade 3s in English Language and Maths GCSE.